I have been reading alot about Allegro Law here today. I contacted them back in June and started the set up on this. I checked them out and I heard some good things about them and bad and also checked with the BBB.
I was told by them to discontinue making my payments and let the creditors know that they will receive a Letter of Representation by July 26. They also said that I would receive a Welcome package but that didn’t get to me until after the initial set up fee was taken out already.
I just called them today 7-16 -09 and was told that there were issues and that I need to call before the 30th to see if they have been resolved. I questioned the lady more and she could only tell me that a receiver has been appointed. I looked up on the computer and found out why. When I spoke to her I asked her what was going on and she could not tell me anything. That sounded fishey to me and told her that what will happen if the issue was not resolved what about my next payment and will I get refunded for what I already paid ($633). She just advised me to call and find out before the next payment date.
Now I am two months behind with my creditors. I thought since this was being handeled my a law firm that my money would be safe.
What should I do? Should I call and request a refund of my first fee and cancel any further money being taken out of my account or wait and see what happens? My husband and I worked real hard for what money we have and he will be very angery about this.
For now I’m trying to keep all the news about the closure of Allegro Law and their debt settlement activities on the post Debt Settlement Attorney Keith Nelms with Allegro Law Gets Sued in Alabama. What I suggest you do is subscribe to the comments or leave comments on that post for updates.
What I can tell you is that the chances are slim that this issue with Allegro is going to end well for clients. Even if the state of Alabama dropped its suit, client accounts at this point are going to be so screwed up that who knows when and if they will ever get straightened out.
The best plan of action is to wait for an official notice from the receiver and subscribe to the comments on the other question I mentioned above.
I would be very hesitant about sending any more money to Allegro Law. I wouldn’t if I was in the same situation as you.
You can call and request a refund of your fee, but with the receiver in control now it will have to go through him and all the assets are frozen at the moment. At the very least, immediately call your bank and withdraw any authorization to withdraw money from your account by them. If you do decide to make any additional payments to them, do it by some other means that you can control, other than giving them access to your checking account.