Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > I Used to Live in the U.S. and Have Some Old Debt But I Now Live in Australia. – Max

I Used to Live in the U.S. and Have Some Old Debt But I Now Live in Australia. – Max


“Dear Steve,

I am 25000. usd in credit card debt .

I don’t live in the states anymore . i live in australia . i am australian but have a green card . i want to pay it back but i am currently unemployed and i have no plans to go back to the states . what should i do?




Dear Max,

Until you are employed and you can afford to repay your debt, I’d do nothing. Contacting the creditor is not going to magically give you money to repay a debt that you can’t. Whatever the creditor might do, they are going to do simply because you are not paying. But like you said, you can’t afford to pay anything right now.

When you’ve got money coming in again that you can use to start repaying this debt, then contact the creditor back in the U.S.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.