Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

I Used Credit Cards to Get By While in College. Now They Want Me to Pay. – Tracy


“Dear Steve,

I have recently completed my degree, but cannot find a job in my field. I am working for $9.00 an hour. I unwisely charged $16,000.00 on a credit card-misc. expenses while I was completing my degree. Now I am struggling to pay the minimum, and I have made some late payments-causing the interest rate to skyrocket to 27%. A friend of mine was in the same situation, and filed bankruptcy-I don’t really want to do that.

How can I get my credit card company to work with me?


Dear Tracy,

The only way you can force your credit card company to do anything is to go bankrupt. Other than that, any agreement with your credit card company is going to come with an offer for help that you can afford and your acceptance of that offer.

Contact your credit card company, explain your situation, ask to be put on a hardship repayment program. That will give you six months at a lower interest rate to look for better employment. If you can’t make the hardship payment, ask your friend for a referral to the bankruptcy lawyer.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  Citibank Lowered My Credit Score. - Robert

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top