I am a single girl diagnosed with breast cancer this summer.
I live paycheck to paycheck. I have not worked for 4 weeks due to surgery and am about to start chemo in a couple weeks and I’m not sure when I will be able to return to work. I’m using all my sick and vaction time which will run out shortly. I am not going to be able to live on the very little short term disability I will receive. I’m scared and don’t know what to do.
I had the following questions that I’d like for you to answer before I can answer your question. Please post your answers in the comments section of your question. I’m looking forward to helping you for free.
- What part of the country do you live in?
- Have you contacted http://www.nowoodennickels.org/programs.html to see if you may qualify for their help?
- How much short-term disability do you get, when does it start, etc.
- Do you have any long-term disability coverage?
- If you are covered by health insurance provided by your employer, are you taking time off under the Family Medical Leave Act to continue your insurance?
- Depending on the severity of the cancer, you may be eligible for some Social Security disability benefits if you become unemployed.
If you have not seen it yet, this page, has some great links at the bottom for financial assistance for payment for treatments, medications and lodging.
And your situation is sadly part of the greater dilemma in the U.S. regarding medical issues and insurance problems. It is said that 21% of Americans Scramble to Pay Medical and Drug Bills.
I just spoke to a good friend of mine that, like you, was young when she went through the breast cancer issue a few years ago. She said that she found tremendous help and assistance from the American Cancer Society. While she did not know if financial assistance was available, she did say that the Road to Recovery program was very beneficial for her to find help and resources.
As soon as you can post the answers to my questions above I’ll be able to help.
If any reader wants to offer advice in the comments section please feel free to participate.