Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

A Creditor is Taking Money From My Unconscious Step-Father’s Bank Account. – Edna

“Dear Steve,

I have POA (on file with the State of AR) of my step-father’s affairs. I was not notified of a large garnishment imposed on our joint account. He is a senior citizen, unconscious patient in a nursing home. His wife lives independently. The funds were taken the day his retirement checks was deposited. This account is the means I use to care for both parents. The judgement was issued Jan 2004, but I didn’t know this until I reviewed our account to pay bills. He was declared mental ill at this time as early as 2004. The attorney wont talk to me. The district court and bank say, “its out of their hands.”

What recourse do I have to have these funds returned to our account and to prevent future garnishments against my dads retirement and social security income?


Dear Edna,

Frankly, I think the quickest and most prudent way would be for you to file bankruptcy on behalf of your step-father. This will quickly terminate the judgment and any other past financial issues hanging over his head.

Any other route seems like it would be nearly as expensive and certainly not as timely.

Find a local bankruptcy attorney you like today and go talk to them.

Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.


P.S. Be sure to read ‘The Secret of Surviving Through Difficult Economic Times. What I Learned On My Journey‘.

Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  Chapter 1 – I Got Hit in the Head With a Baseball and I Saw it Coming

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: