How Can I Get My Name Off My Husband’s Judgment?

“Dear Steve,

My husband received a deficiency judgement ($200,000)in Fl on a home about 13 years ago (My name was also on the judgement). The former owner has since died, yet this judgement looms over my head, too. My husband and the owner’s lawyer had an acrimonious relationship, and 5 years ago, they took our car to satisfy a small amount of this judgement.

I am significantly younger than my husband, and I worry about this debt which my husband cannot pay, if he dies, and I am stuck with it.

How long can this Deficiency Judgement be enforced? If my husband died, would I be liable for this judgement, too? I have always been a housewife, not working, except in the home. Should I declare bankruptcy ?I f I seek employment (my husband is retired,)now, can they garnish my wages?


Dear Zara,

First off, I am not a lawyer and you really need to speak to a lawyer who is licensed in your state. In fact you might want to talk this over with a bankruptcy lawyer and take care of investigating both issues at the same time.

It is a bit perplexing why your name would have been associated with this judgment if you had nothing to do with the underlying debt which led to this issue.

Please find a local bankruptcy attorney and go talk to them for free. They can help you with some specific advice for your situation.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)

1 thought on “How Can I Get My Name Off My Husband’s Judgment?”

Leave a Comment