Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Tax Related

Will I Need My IRS ITIN to Get Married?

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I have an ITIN number I got it on 2006 I have not used it for my taxes since then but I have the original paper.

How can I know how much I owe, where do I have to go, how can I use it? I am going to get married and I will need this for that purpose. Thank you!



Dear Jose,

For everyone who does not know what an ITIN is, it is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) that is issued by the IRS to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for Social Security Numbers. The ITINs always begin with the number nine and range from 900-70-0000 to 999-88-9999.

Other examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

  • A nonresident alien required to file a U.S. tax return
  • A U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
  • A dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
  • A dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder

While you can always contact the IRS for help with your taxes, and they even provide information in Spanish, I personally think the better approach would be to find a professional tax preparer in your community who can help you to file all the necessary returns to bring yourself current.

Logically, it would be better to understand the extent of your situation so you can plan on how to deal with it rather than just phoning the IRS.

If you are marrying an American citizen, after your marriage and application to be a resident you should be able to apply for a Social Security Number once your Green Card application is filed and you receive additional documentation.

“A green card can be used to prove employment eligibility in the United States when completing the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. It can also be used to apply for a Social Security Card and a state issued driver’s license. A green card is valid for readmission to the United States after a trip abroad if you do not leave for longer than 1 year. If your trip will last longer than 1 year, a reentry permit is needed.” – Source

Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  I Can't Seem to Get Through to the IRS on the Phone to Get My ITIN

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: