I just had an opportunity to look at the website for Midland Credit Management and I must say, for a collections agency they certainly appear more like a credit counseling group.
Don’t get me wrong, it appear they provide full and apparent disclosure they are a debt collector, “Please understand that this is a communication from a debt collector. This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose,” but the primary message reads like a debt relief company.
- Midland Credit Management is a national financial services company that helps consumers resolve past-due debt obligations. By providing customers with education and payment plans, we help our customers start down the path toward improving their credit and reinstating their borrowing power.
- Midland Credit Management has helped over two million customers eliminate outstanding debts.
- We have more than a thousand agents around the world working to help consumers like you.
- Take advantage of our easy payment options to gain control of your outstanding financial obligations.
- Midland can partner with you to create a better economic future for you and your family.
And those are just the messages on the front page. If you didn’t know better you would think you landed on the website of almost any debt relief provider, even a debt settlement company.
Before you start to flame up that there are differences between a debt collector and a credit counselor, I agree. But from the point of view of a typical consumer in a panic the messaging appears to be the same kind and gentle messaging as one might see on a credit counseling or other debt relief company site.
Who is Midland Credit Management
“Midland Credit Management (MCM) is a national financial services company that helps consumers resolve past-due financial obligations. We empower our customers through education and payment plans, and help them return to a path toward improved financial health.” – Source
According to their website:
Midland Credit Management is a subsidiary of Encore Capital Group, a leader in the consumer debt buying and recovery industry. Through Encore Capital Group and its affiliates we offer customers the tools and options they need to resolve their past due debt obligations. In addition to our affiliate companies we will often use third parties to service accounts. Below is a brief list of Encore Capital Group and MCM affiliate companies. – Source
Ascension Capital Group, Inc.
2201 East Lamar Boulevard, Suite 200
Arlington, TX 76006
Encore Capital Group
3111 Camino Del Rio North, Suite 1300
San Diego, CA 92108
Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.
Midland Credit Management, Inc. (MCM)
8875 Aero Drive, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92123
Midland Funding LLC
Midland Funding NCC-2 Corporation
MRC Receivables Corporation
Midland Recovery Corp
If the company can deliver solutions that fit within a larger plan for a consumer to get out of debt and they are flexible and understanding this kinder and gentle approach may work well for them as a debt collector.
However, based on this consumer complaint, hanging up on the consumer is not the best practical approach.
MCM appears to be a debt buyer and does sue consumers in their effort to recover. Pursuing their legal rights as the debt owner is an appropriate way to collect. – Source
Watch Out Credit Counselors
Based on messaging alone this debt collector is doing a great job of beating you at your own game.
I can always use your help. If you have a tip or information you want to share, you can get it to me confidentially if you click here.
- We Rise From the Dead Yet Again – Podcast - October 2, 2023
- Lexington Law Credit Repair Gets Hammered in Lawsuit Settlement. If You Sell Credit Repair – Wake Up! - August 28, 2023
- People That Got Scammed by Robocall Debt Relief Company Life Management Services of Orange County to Get Money Back - July 7, 2023