So I leased my car from a buy here pay here. I now currently live in another state and my car has been up for repo since August. I have not been bothered by the company since November 2017.
I just lost my car key fob and was wondering if I bring it to an actual Mercedes dealership to get a new key can they tell if my car is up for repo?
Now that’s an interesting question.
The obvious answer is you should hand the car back to the lender. The lender could report the car as stolen and then you would be charged with a crime.
Here is the advice to order a new Mercedes replacement key.
The dealer will order the right key for your car from the VIN number. With that said, they are very strict on verifying ownership.
If you are the current owner of the vehicle:
- Locate the closest Mercedes Benz dealer.
- Get your current vehicle registration. If not registered the original title will do.
- Get your driver’s license or passport or identity card.
- Head over to the dealer.
- Show them your documents and pay the $200 to $300 for your new key. In some cases, new keys may cost up to $560, as reported by Mercedes-Benz owners.
- Wait 3 to 4 days for the key to be shipped to your dealership. Keys are made in USA in some cases they have to be shipped from Germany in which case you may have to wait up to 10 days. – Source
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.