Debt Settlement

Where Do I Report Illegal Debt Settlement Marketing?

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

If you notice a debt settlement company marketing illegal savings claims, misrepresenting their services or other questionable practices and they are advertising nationally, what state regulators do you find would be most interested in the information?



Do You Have a Question You'd Like Steve to Answer? Click Here.

Dear Ella,

Typically the logical place to start on a state basis is the office of the Attorney General.

You can find your state attorney general here.

Don’t be surprised if your complaint doesn’t go anywhere fast. Every state and federal regulation entity has to make decisions about how they allocate resources and budget. They may have bigger issues they are dealing with.

However, every concern from a consumer creates a pattern that can elevate particular issues. This is why reporting issues to the FTC and CFPB is important as well.

If you received marketing material in the mail, the USPS Postal Inspector seems to take these things seriously as well.

Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: