My Car Was Hit by a Train and I Owe CarHop


Dear Steve,

My car was hit by a train. I have a contract with CarHop, and my insurance had lapsed.

How do I get their money and buy from them again?

Is bankruptcy the way I should go?

Can I file bankruptcy to get Car Hop’s money to them?



Dear Joseph,

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

I think this is officially the first car hit by train question I’ve ever had.

When you are talking about Car Hop, I’m assuming you are talking about the auto finance company.

If your insurance lapsed, you are responsible for the entire debt. But you might want to check and see if CarHop discovered your insurance had lapsed and put a forced placed insurance coverage in place.

You could eliminate your liability for the debt in bankruptcy, but that would not repay CarHop anything. However, it would give you a fresh start.

The lesson learned here is not to let your insurance lapse and don’t get hit by a train.

I’m afraid the Magic 8 Ball says, “Chances of Getting financed by CarHop again are slim.”

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me

Comments are closed.