I Withdrew From College And Have No Intention of Paying The Old Bill But Want to Go Back

Progressive Financial Service Invoice that was sent to my home to inquire about a repayment fee for my student loan.

I was not able to finish due to a lack of income and withdrew from college for a time. I was not able to go back immediately because of other obligations of a person matter, but now I feel as if I can be able to attend. But I cannot attend and have financial aid unless I find a way to repay a total amount of $9,201.17. I have no intention of paying this amount of money altogether. I spoke to a representative about my problem and agreed to put me on a payment plan of $100/month, but I support a family so that is hardly an option.

What would the best course of action be to repay this loan so I can get back in school?

This is your chance to be a hero and help out this person by providing your feedback and answer to the question in the comments section below.

9 thoughts on “I Withdrew From College And Have No Intention of Paying The Old Bill But Want to Go Back”

  1. I’m not sure why you’re saying you have no intention of paying back this debt; you did borrow it … I can tell you from experience that this mindset will take you nowhere. I agree with Rosi, it’s humbling, but it’s also freeing, as odd as that may sound right now.

    Your best bet is to (as Rosi said!) reevaluate your relationship to money, then talk to your financial aid counselor at school and see what options are available to you. If you want to go back to school, and need to take out more loans, then not paying your initial debt isn’t one of them. I’m sorry.

    If the $100 a month payment is too much, then you are most likely in need of a job upgrade (or financial counseling?), which, depending on your field probably means some sort of school, which also probably means more student loan debt.

    Good luck to you.

  2. The ~$9000 shouldnt make you ineligible for financial aid. Theres a cap to how much you can get out and its in the >100,000. Can you get in to the program and defer? 

    • she is ineligible while the loan is in default status. the loan will have to return to performing status before she can get more financial aid.

  3. I have a friend who had a similar situation. Try talking to the financial office of the college where your debt comes from. My friend had an option – she told the school she owed that they would forgive her the amount and she comes back to them and takes classes and finishes her education (and thus they get money from her for the new semester she attends) or she doesn’t pay anything and goes to a different school. So it’s something or nothing option – it worked for her and the school forgave her $10K debt. Good luck!


Leave a Comment