Jess used the form at the bottom of this post to send in the following question.
“My babies mother and I have lived in a mobile home for the past three years. We had been having a tough time making the payments for the truck. Just last week we found some water damage in the floor of our mobile home and on the same day I accidently blew a hole in the roof when my shotgun accidently went off. What are we going to do, we don’t have insurance or money to fix it?”
I appreciate the tough question and I’ll help the best I can.
When people are facing tough times and they don’t have two pennies to rub together to their name they often turn to families, friends, church or religious congregation for assistance.
With a little help from you friends you might just be able to repair the damage to the mobile home yourself, or at least good enough to get by.
It is natural for many to feel hesitant about asking for help or seeking help, especially at times when they might feel embarrassed or ashamed.
But don’t look at your situation as a negative. Maybe this is just your opportunity to ask for help now and be available to help someone else that needs your assistance at some point in the future.
The good news is that most mobile homes are fairly easy to repair so someone with a little carpentry experience and some free hours will be able to make the repairs. Now, the worst thing you could do is not work harder than those that might help you to make this situation better.
If people are going to lend you a hand, do what you can to help them to help you.
- Set a time for people to come help that works best for them, not you.
- Have all the tools or supplies they might need to make the repairs. If you can’t afford supplies and they are bringing some, make room for them to put them when they get to your place.
- Have some drinks and snacks on hand to nourish the helpers.
- While they are working to help you, get and do anything they ask or need to help accomplish the task.
- Don’t forget to say thank you for their help before, during and after it is all over.
All of those things above you can do at little to no expense on your part but it will show those helping you that you are rich with appreciation and grateful for their help.
Thanks for writing in and asking for my help.