Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

How Can I Make Sure There is No Travel Ban to Prevent Me Leaving Dubai? – Aftab

“Dear Steve,

I have credit cards and personal loans in Dubai and I am paying them in bits and pieces every month. My monthly payments is exceeding my curent income and due to the late payments and back log which I have it is so difficult to get them back in control. I can’t see any solution to this problem as the amounts are huge and it is way out of control. I can’t even get any further loan because of my bad credit history and my company is not listed with most of the banks.

My question is, that if I plan to exit the country how can I ensure that the banks has not imposed a travel ban on my pasport yet and I will not be stopped at the airport? as they always threaten me by sending messages that the travel ban is imposed to put a pressure for payment. I travelled to U.K in August without any hassles under the same circumstances.


Dear Aftab,

The best option would be for you to find a local lawyer in Dubai that can research this and make the inquiry for you.


Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

P.S. Be sure to read ‘The Secret of Surviving Through Difficult Economic Times. What I Learned On My Journey‘.

READ  Will I Have to Pay My Dead Father's Debts in Dubai?

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


  • The below information has been sourced from

    When the receiver of a cheque (which bounced) files a complaint in the police station against the issuer, the case is forwarded to the public prosecution and then to the criminal court. The criminal court may convict the issuer (based on evidence provided by the complainant) and give him two options – pay the money or go to jail.However, in case of failure to get cheque amount despite imprisonment, the complainant should present his case to the civil court to claim the money along with documents and evidence to prove it. The civil court could then either demand the issuer to pay or face the jail term.

    If a certain person was convicted for a bounced cheque case and has served jail term, he or she stands released after the period. However, if the original complainant files the case again in the civil court, he or she will have to pay the unpaid amount or go back to jail. In case there is no pending or second case once the jail term is completed, the person is free to leave the country after collecting his impounded passport.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top