Subscribe to our mailing list


Will I Be Able to Get Back Into the UK on a Student Visa Even if I Didn’t Pay My Company Taxes?

By on September 21, 2017


Dear Jon,

I lived in the UK for about 3 years on a student visa from 2012 to 2014. During that time I worked and I later switched to a limited liability company for the last year. However, I did not file my tax because I left by May 31st. Thus, I have outstanding tax which I intended to pay once I got a job back home, never happened.

Will I be denied a UK visa if I did not file my tax in the year before I left? I am quite sure I am owing and I fear that could affect my application for a student visa to the UK.



Have you had any contact with HMRC regarding owing taxes? You may wish to contact them just to confirm the status of your taxes and what is owed, if anything.

Owing taxes is usually not a problem in obtaining a Visa here in the UK, however I state usually.

What type of Visa are you getting? You mention student Visa, to my knowledge owing taxes is not an issue for these. However, immigration and Visa laws and rules are constantly changing.

Some Visa’s have “good character” portions, and owing debts and/or taxes could be viewed as damaging to this character part.

You may want to pose this question to who is aiding you in getting the Visa as well.



READ  I'm a U.S. Citizen Living in the UK. If I File Bankruptcy in the U.S. Will it Hurt Me in the UK? - Amanda

About Jon Emge

Jon Emge is an experienced UK debt advisor who has helped thousands and thousands of people in the UK to deal with problem debt. Jon specialises in finding good solutions for problem debt using a variety of UK specific techniques. If you have a question you’d like to ask about how to get out of UK debt, just use the online form.


  1. Jon

    September 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm

    Question answered by Jon.

  2. Chukwunonso

    September 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm

    Question asked.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: