I’m in Prison and Would Like to Get My Federal Student Loan Written Off


Dear Steve,

I am a federal prison inmate and enjoyed your article on federal student loans. I have been incarcerated for almost 5 years and have 7 years to go. Can’t get UNICOR employment but at my facility, everyone has a job, I have a job that I’m paid $10 a month

Can I pay you to review my credit and walk me through getting my federal student loans written off? And also any other debt I may have. Thank you.



Dear Elliot,

I don’t accept money from people for services and I no longer work with individual clients.

The article you are talking about is Go to Prison and Get Your Federal Student Loans Forgiven.

There are no programs I am aware of that would eliminate your federal student loans just because you are in jail. To take advantage of the time you still have, you should consider getting your federal student loans consolidated and on an Income_driven Repaylemnt (IDR) program.

You can learn more about the programs here. Since your income is so low your monthly payment will be $0 a month and you will remain out of default. After 20-25 years of being on one of the IDR programs, your debt would be forgiven.

However, IDR programs carry some not awesome features as well. Click here to find out.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)
See also  Will Banks in Dubai, Hunt Me Down in Canada? - Kent

2 thoughts on “I’m in Prison and Would Like to Get My Federal Student Loan Written Off”

Leave a Comment