I Didn’t Pay for a Semester I Didn’t Attend But I Want to Get My Transcript


Dear Steve,

I currently owe $700 for a semester in 2017 that I did not attend. I didn’t withdraw from the classes on time, unfortunately, and I’m now dealing with the consequence. Is there any way I can make an appeal so that I don’t have to pay for my transcripts? What can I do?

I owe money for a semester I did not attend. Is there anything I can do to not be charged this amount to get my transcripts?



Dear Mel,

When you don’t withdraw in accordance with the schools policy you wind up taking a seat that could have otherwise have been sold.

Since this happened in California you will be able to get your transcript but that is separate from the debt.

According to AB 1313 that went into force on January 1, 2020, states, “Whenever a student transfers from one community college or public or private institution of postsecondary education to another within the state, appropriate records or a copy thereof shall be transferred by the former community college, or college or university upon a request from the student.”

Most importantly it says schools can’t “Refuse to provide a transcript for a current or former student on the grounds that the student owes a debt.” – Source

Additionally the law states:

“(b) Condition the provision of a transcript on the payment of a debt, other than a fee charged to provide the transcript.

(c) Charge a higher fee for obtaining a transcript, or provide less favorable treatment of a transcript request because a student owes a debt.”

So it does appear you can still be charged the normal price to obtain a transcript but not a punitive price towards the debt.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Steve Rhode
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)

2 thoughts on “I Didn’t Pay for a Semester I Didn’t Attend But I Want to Get My Transcript”

Leave a Comment