My FICO score does not keep going up:
- 3/99 I filed bankruptcy-it will be 10 years next March and should come off my credit score.
- I owe $5,400 on one credit card and $7,300 on my car for a total of $12700. In January 2008, I owed over $26000.
- All bills are paid on time or better than agreed.
- Other than the bankruptcy, there are no negatives on showing on my credit.
- My income-after taxes is $3266 monthly
My FICO score is as follows: July, 720/August, 726, September 715. Why does it go down rather than up as my bills are being paid off?
Dear Mary Lou,
As silly as this may sound, one of the issues is that you don’t have enough credit. Good and proper use of a credit card will help to increase your credit score. Since your bankruptcy you’ve probably been credit adverse, avoiding credit like the plague.
Unfortunately the credit bureaus can’t put your credit rehabilitation into turbo unless you have multiple cards reporting about how good you really are.
I’d suggest applying for another credit card now, using this link. Just apply for one now and another one in a few months. You might even want to transfer part of the balance from the current card and divide it among your new group of cards. This will help also as it will lower your balance to limit ratio. Ideally you don’t want the balance to creep up over 30% of your credit limit or that will hurt you as well.
If you want additional specific information I recommend this consolidated credit report but be sure you order the consolidated report with your credit score. You will be able to download your report online and it will tell you specific things you can do to increase your credit score.
I do find it ironic that this consolidated credit report and credit score tells you specifically what you can do to increase your credit score. I guess credit reporting agencies are all for giving you the exact information you need to increase your credit score as long as you are paying them for the information.
I think you will find that the advice I gave you will do the trick and increase your score for you over the next six months.
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
- Major Changes to Now Allow You to Eliminate Federal Student Loans in Bankuptcy - November 23, 2022
- FTC Goes After Timeshare Exit Players That Allegedly Target Older Folks - November 23, 2022
- Another Half Assed Attempt to Fix Federal Student Loans With Bankruptcy - November 18, 2022