Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Credit Report / Credit Score

Can I Contact My Creditor And Ask Them to Remove the Charge Off From My Credit Report? – Keisha

“Dear Steve,

Four years ago, I had four charged off accounts which I later paid in full. They remain on my credit report, but now show as “charged off/paid”. I made agreements with the credit card companies and/or collection agencies before paying them off, not knowing I could request a pay for delete.

Can I contact the original creditor or the collections agency reporting the items and request that the items be removed or is it too late?


Dear Keisha,

The problem here is that removing negative but factual information from a credit report violates the agreement between the creditor and the credit bureau. I doubt they would have ever done it.

A credit report is like a school report card. It is supposed to list the actual account history. Let’s say you got a D in a class at school, Graduating does not remove the D from your report card. Same thing is true here. Finally paying the debt does not change the history that at one time you were late and it charged off.

You can contact them and make your request, but don’t hold your breath it will actually happen.

The charge off will fall off your consumer credit report seven years after it was first reported. Current new and good credit will be the best way to bring your score up.

Want More Help?
Here are 3 things you can do right now
Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  Default Rates Continue to Fall at Credit Card Issuers

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top