A reader sent in a mailer they recently received. I can’t believe these mailers are still being sent out.
The mailer says, “You are hereby notified that benefits set aside, through the 2010 U.S. Federal Stimulus Package, in the name of [x] are set to expire as of 1/4/2012 at 12 Midnight E.S.T. If said benefits have not been redeemed, the benefits for [x] will be considered Unclaimed and that it is the intention of [x] to not redeem set aside benefits.”
There is only one problem with all of that, it’s just not true.
The mailer instructs callers to call 877-259-8189, which comes back to an identical mailer I warned readers about on November 22, 2011.
The mailer says the “imaginary” FSPL benefits can be used for “the sole utilization of resolving the past due, unsecured debt in the amount of [x] which is currently filed against and reporting on [x]’s try-bureau credit report as delinquent and past due.”
Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.
Only one problem with that statement, it is highly unlikely that any “tri-bureau” report was run to make that statement.
In my opinion, this mailer is cruel in is manipulation of recipients. It appears to be an official notice or government mailer and it contains phrases which would lead an average consumer to read it as such.
- Certificate of Record and Benefits
- Affiliation with the FSPL is strictly regulated and unauthorized use of FSPL is strictly prohibited.
- According to the U.S. FSPL Code and the 2010 U.S. Federal Stimulus Package
- Benefits set aside, through the 2010 U.S. Federal Stimulus Package
- Stimulus Package Benefits
- Benefits Available For
- All Federal Holidays Observed
The U.S. Federal Stimulus Package Mailer
You will notice the mailer makes the following claims:
- 68% Resolution of Past Due Debt
- No 3rd Party Fees
- Reduce Overall Debt by up to 68%
- Immediate reduction of Payments up to 60%
- Elimination of Unsecured Debt in 24 Months
- Credit is Restored by Avoiding Bankruptcy
- Stop Calls From Creditors and Collectors
The claims made in the mailer appear to both be untrue and deceptive.
If you receive such a mailer, please fill out a consumer complaint here.
I have forwarded this mailer to State and Federal regulators for review.
- We Rise From the Dead Yet Again – Podcast - October 2, 2023
- Lexington Law Credit Repair Gets Hammered in Lawsuit Settlement. If You Sell Credit Repair – Wake Up! - August 28, 2023
- People That Got Scammed by Robocall Debt Relief Company Life Management Services of Orange County to Get Money Back - July 7, 2023