I moved from the UK to the US in January 2012 with UK debts. I lived in the UK for 14 years and plan to now resettle in the USA.
Having sought advice on my sitution, I seem to qualify for a DRO based on my financials, but am ensure about the residency requirements? Your article on DROs says either a resident or recent resident and I’m unsure if I qualify, as in how recent would I have had to have lived there?
Am I able to qualify for a DRO if I now live in the USA; I am unclear about resident/recent residency stipulations?
Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.
You do bring up a good question and point, and one that is still a bit new as DRO’s/Debt Relief Orders are still relatively new.
According to the requirements for a DRO, such as residency, they are similar to bankruptcy.
To get a DRO you must:
- owe less than £15,000
- have less than £50 a month spare income – after paying essential bills like rent or food
- have less than £300 worth of assets – motor vehicles are not included in this limit, you can usually keep your car if it is worth less than £1000 or you need it because you have a disability
- live, run a business or own a property in England or Wales – or have done so in the last three years
- not have applied for a DRO in the last six years
So by just leaving the UK in January of this year, you should qualify. However, my thoughts are for you to speak to a competent authority soon in order to get the definitive answer to be sure this is something you can do and that you qualify for. There may be more than just residency issues to be dealt with.
You can visit this Debt Relief Order site for more information on competent authorities.
Jon Emge is an experienced UK debt advisor who has helped thousands and thousands of people in the UK to deal with problem debt. Jon specialises in finding good solutions for problem debt using a variety of UK specific techniques.
If you have a question you’d like to ask about how to get out of UK debt, just use the online form. I’m happy to help you for free.
- I’m 78 and Living in Alaska and Trying to Survive on Social Security - October 24, 2022
- Can My American Debts Be Collected In England? - September 22, 2021
- How Can I Pay Off Debts I Left In Another Country? - August 3, 2021