How Can I Protect Myself From Being Sued Over a Bounced Check? – Carl

“Dear Steve,

How to protect myself from being sued by a private out of state bank for a check I deposited into my account from an individual that bounced after I had already closed my account not knowing the check would bounce. I have no money or assets and am currently living with relatives on unemployment. Or what should I expect to happen. Any advice would be helpfull given I can’t afford an attorney.


Dear Carl,

How much is the check for?

Hopefully you learned that deposited funds are not guaranteed till they have cleared. No sense wasting a perfectly good mistake when we can learn from it.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me

8 thoughts on “How Can I Protect Myself From Being Sued Over a Bounced Check? – Carl”

Leave a Comment