I’m credit card debt and one PDC loan and one monthly payment loan. I’ve lost my job in dubai. I’m currently in dubai and i have informed banks with the same situation and have already provided them with termination letter copy. I’ve been offered a role in Saudi arabia. I’ve every intention to pay every penny to the respective banks.
1) If i travel to Saudi can i get arrested?
2) Can i pay from Saudi to respective banks?
3) If i pay from Saudi to respective banks, after settling all dues will they provide me with zero liability letter?
4) Can i travel to Saudi from dubai?
Saudi Arabia is a member of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states. They include:
- Bahrain – or Kingdom of Bahrain
- Oman – or Sultanate of Oman
- Saudi Arabia – or Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)
- UAE – United Arab Emirates
So technically it is possible that if your UAE bank files a police report and issues an arrest warrant that you could be arrested in Saudi Arabia since there is cooperation among GCC members.
Ultimately the answers to your questions depend on the arrangements you negotiate with your banks. If you can work out a mutually agreeable repayment plan and you can get it in writing then your fears should be eliminated.
If however you leave Dubai and go to Saudi Arabia and one or more of your Dubai creditors files charges against you for missed payments, which they can certainly do, then you face uncertainty in Saudi Arabia and travel in the GCC countries.
The debt situation on Dubai is very arcane in a modern world. There is little allowance for repayment outside of the agreed to contractual terms and without any consumer bankruptcy provisions it is a reality that some people do end up in jail for unpaid debts.
Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.