My Husband Lost His Job. What Can We Do To Get Help From The Credit Card Companies? – Cyndi


“Dear Steve,

My husband lost his job. We are $13,000 in credit card debt. We owe a mortgage and an equity loan. My income covers most but not all expenses.

I need to know what I can do to get the credit card company to set me up on monthly payments for what I owe,without adding anymore service charges and interest payments to it.


Dear Cyndi,

The irony here is that you can’t really get to the best repayment options available as long as you are current on your credit card bills. You need to get out of the regular customer assistance and into the collection folks to be offered any adjustable terms. So in that case, fall behind a month or so on your bills and you can see what they have to offer.

Outside of that your next best option is to explore the possibilities of entering a debt management program. Through a debt management program your creditors will often eliminate fees, reduce or eliminate interest and bring your account current. Click here for debt management information.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Steve Rhode
See also  Bank of America Offers "Clean Sweep" Debt Consolidation Loan Up to $50,000. Let's Look at The Facts And See Who Is Really Cleaning Up.

Leave a Comment