How Can I Find My Individual Taxpayer Identification Number? – Miriam

Dear Jim,

When I was younger, my aunt got me an ITIN number from the IRS to claim me as a dependent on her taxes.

Now that I’m an adult, is that ITIN number still valid? And if it is, how do I find out what the number was? Thank you.


Hi Miriam:

To retrieve a lost ITIN (that is, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), you will need to call the IRS ITIN Hotline at 1-800-908-9982. You can answer a series of questions to verify your identity, and the IRS will provide you the number.

Keep in mind, if it has been several years since the number has been used, the IRS will deactivate the ITIN and require you to resubmit the Form W-7 and required documentation (original passport) to obtain a new ITIN.



Jim Buttonow is one of the resident debt experts here at that helps people for free. Jim is a licensed CPA who spent 19 years with the IRS coordinating large compliance teams of IRS agents and specialized personnel. In the last 5 years, Jim has invented consumer and practitioner software and treatises on how to address many different tax issues. He has also represented many people before the IRS examination, collection, filing, and appeals functions. He currently assists taxpayers on an active pro bono tax practice aimed at serving people in need. He can be reached at

If you have a tax question you’d like to ask use the online form. I’m happy to help you totally for free.

3 thoughts on “How Can I Find My Individual Taxpayer Identification Number? – Miriam”

Leave a Comment