My Rent is More Than My Income. – Shatina

“Dear Steve,

I’m disabled. I live off $660 monthly. My rent is $625 not including utilities. I can’t even afford to file bankrupt!

How do I get out of debt if I can’t even afford to file bankrupt?


Steve Rhode
See also  My Partner Just Filed for Bankruptcy to Discharge His Debt. - Norman

2 thoughts on “My Rent is More Than My Income. – Shatina”

  1. Section 8 takes time to apply and you probably need immediate help. You honestly need to look into moving in with family or a roommate. Without dramatically reducing your rent you will never get ahead much less have money to pay for medication, food and utilities. You need to take into consideration if you are breaking a lease- which may mean find a roommate. Look for someone from your church or community that you personally know or is referred by a friend. Get money up front from them for first/last months rent just like a landlord would so if they bail you are still covered until you find someone else. Split the rent and utilties with them. In the meantime you can apply for section 8 for additional relief. I’m not sure how the roommate situation would factor into the section 8 qualifying but if a married couple could do it I don’t know why you couldn’t.

  2. If you are on social security you should qualify for section 8 housing which would be based on your income.
    I would also check out community resources to help you out of this jam. Contact United Way and they should be able to provide valuable information.
    Many Blessings!


Leave a Comment