I’m Behind in My Mortgage and Car Payments. I Can’t Get Caught Up. – Dan

“Dear Steve,

I am one month behind on mortgage. two months behind on two car payments. and am falling behind on other payments. I make enough money to pay my bills per month now but not enough to catch up. If I could just start over. I cant lose my home or my vehicles. Im scared and emarrased!!! My credit is bad. Will I lose everything or is there a program that can assist me on getting a clean start. I just need a chance.

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

Is there any hope for me in my situation or am going to lose everything? I had some last minute problems that drained my account. Please advise.


Dear Dan,

The situation sucks but there is a solution. You need to go see a local bankruptcy lawyer and talk about a possible chapter 13 bankruptcy. It will stop collection action, you won’t lose anything, it will allow you to get caught up and let you keep your home and car.

I think that is the most expedient solution based on what you’ve shared that will give you the most legal protection and let you regroup with a fresh start.

I know the situation feels really bad and is personally embarrassing. I lived through it myself. I also know you probably feel like a loser, you’re depressed and stressed. But this is a technical problem about dollars and cents and not a public personal reflection of the man you are. Implement the solution and move forward.

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)
See also  Would it be Wise to Pull the Cash Out of the 401k and Pay Towards Our Debt? - Brandy

Comments are closed.