The State of Connecticut recently took action against Lamont Karriem and Hope for Home for allegedly operating as a debt adjuster or debt negotiator for residents.
The State said:
1. Respondent is an individual, who at all times relevant hereto, was the sole proprietor of Hope for Home, which has an office located at 12523 Limonite Avenue, Suite 440-421, Mira Loma, California.
2. On or about August 6, 2014, two Connecticut debtors engaged the services of Respondent pursuant to which Respondent would, inter alia, review the debtors’ mortgage loan to assist them in modifying their loan and preventing foreclosure.
3. In connection with the engagement, the Connecticut debtors forwarded $1,081.55 to Respondent, which amount is in excess of amounts that debt negotiators may charge for services related to secured debt pursuant to the Schedule of Maximum Fees established by the Commissioner on or about October 1, 2009 (“Schedule of Maximum Fees”).
4. Specifically, the Schedule of Maximum Fees provides, in pertinent part, that “[a] debt negotiator of secured debt, including Short Sales and Foreclosure Rescue Services, may impose a fee upon the mortgagor or debtor for performing debt negotiation services not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). Such fee shall only be collectable upon the successful completion of all services stated in the debt negotiation service contract”.
5. At no time relevant hereto has Respondent been licensed to engage or offer to engage in debt negotiation in this state, nor did Respondent qualify for an exemption from such licensure.
6. On December 17, 2014, the Commissioner received a complaint filed by the Connecticut debtors referred to in paragraph 2 concerning their engagement with Respondent.
7. On April 8, 2015, Respondent refunded $1,081.55 to the Connecticut debtors referred to in paragraph 2.
The company has been ordered to pay $24,779.06 in restitution to ten Connecticut residents and told to stop serving Connecticut residents. – Source
I can always use your help. If you have a tip or information you want to share, you can get it to me confidentially if you click here.