Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Tax Related

I Filed Bankruptcy But Still Got 1099-C Forms So What Do I Do Now?

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

Had a ch 7 bankruptcy filed 12/14 and discharged 4/15. there were multiple properties (different banks) that were included in the bankruptcy. I have received multiple 1099-c with codes showing “by agreement” and another that says “foreclosure agreement”. however we were never foreclosed and the properties were included in the bankruptcy and discharged.

NOW, they are saying on these forms that we are having pay the tax on the discharged debt??? How can this be when the US government discharged all the debt??

HOW do we file taxes with these 1099-c forms with incorrect codes? we have yet to file 2015 taxes as we have been fighting with the bank to reissue the tax forms…

Is there ANYTHING we can do?



Dear Michael,

No worries. Just file a form 982 for the year your bankruptcy was discharged.

Your tax professional who is assisting you with your taxes should know how to do this.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

See also  Don’t Overlook the Insolvency Exemption for 1099-C Cancelation of Debt Income

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top