I Lost My ITIN and Need to Get It to File My Taxes

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I need to do my taxes and was giving an ITIN number.

I don’t remember it by heart is there a way I can get it please?



Dear Estanislao,

For those who don’t know, an ITIN is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number that is a tax processing number for those people who don’t have Social Security Numbers. In case anyone is curious, it is a nine-digit number that always begins with 9 and has a range of 70-88 in the fourth and fifth digit.

The good news is you can recover your ITIN but the bad news is you are going to probably be on the phone with the IRS for an extended period of time.

The IRS ITIN recovery process is to call 1-800-908-9982 and you’ll have to answer a series of questions to verify your identity. Intuit says, “Keep in mind, if it has been several years since the number has been used, the IRS will deactivate the ITIN and require you to resubmit the Form W-7 and required documentation (original passport) to obtain a new ITIN.”

Bottom line: Please store your ITIN number in a safe place, in your phone, or with a friend or family member so you can recover it some way without the IRS hassle. I know the phone is not the most secure way but you can make a fake contact in your phone and assign that as their telephone number and at least you’ll know where it is.

Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  Will I Need My IRS ITIN to Get Married?

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: