Can I Amend My Borrower Defense to Repayment Claim?


Dear Steve,

Attended ITT Technical and was deceived by their recruiters.

I filed a Borrowers Defense to repayment-previously but never heard back from the Department of Education. I now have come up with more supporting documentation. Can I file an “amended” BTR online?



Dear Charles,

Well, this falls under the heading of sure, but what’s the point.

At the time I’m writing this the Trump administration under Department of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos has essentially stopped processing these claims and does not want to allow people to have their loans forgiven.

You can see the latest posts on this mess, here.

The new proposed rule for the Borrower Defense to Repayment program changes the fundamental way the program works. Under the old program, your loans would be put in forbearance and collection activity would stop. Under the new proposed program, you have to keep making your payments and only loans not in default would be considered.

The old program would forgive your student loans in full. The new proposed program will forgive part of the loans based on your income and income of your peer students when you attended.

Basically, it’s a freaking mess. Nothing is resolved, everything is up in the air, and it seems little is being done. Yet claims continue to back up.

Now technically you can submit additional information by email at BorrowerDefense@ed.gov or by mail at Borrower Defense to Repayment, P.O. Box 1854, Monticello, KY 42633.

I have 1% confidence it will actually wind up attached to your original application.

The Department of Education says they would prefer to receive additional documentation with your original application. And this is the type of additional documentation they are looking for.

“[T]he following types of documents are among those that may be helpful to your application:

  • Documentation to confirm the school for which you are applying for borrower defense, your program of study, and your dates of enrollment—such as transcripts, enrollment agreements, and registration documents
  • Promotional materials from the school
  • Emails with school officials
  • Your school’s manual or course catalog” – Source
See also  Department of Education Reaches Decision About Student Loans and Bankruptcy

So the bottom line is you can sure do what you want but I remain highly skeptical it will get connected with your original application.

However, it can’t hurt. Just make sure you send the material by mail and by traceable means so you have a record of sending it and them receiving it. That way when they claim you never sent it you can have proof for your appeal.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me

2 thoughts on “Can I Amend My Borrower Defense to Repayment Claim?”

Leave a Comment