I Just Got a 1099 From the IRS on an Old Debt I Want to Validate


Dear Steve,

Approximately 10 to 12 years ago, I was unable to continue paying on my Discover Card. This debt is from 10 to 15 years ago. I have no records in my files concerning this particular debt.

I just received a 1099C form from the IRS. I know that I cannot dispute this debt with the IRS but how do I dispute it with the creditor, in this case, discover as far as proof to validate the debt is concerned under the circumstances

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.



Dear Marc,

You have two different situations going on here. The 1099-C form was sent to the IRS by the creditor and is a tax reporting function. It has nothing to do with the validity of the debt.

If you want to focus on the 1099-C form issue then you need to contact the IRS, good luck, and ask to have a Form 4598 opened on the 1099-C.

The IRS will then contact the creditor requiring a correction or additional information. See this post for more information about this.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
See also  What Do I Do With This IRS CP2000 Claim I Owe Tax On a Cancelled Debt?

Comments are closed.