I Don’t Want to Use a Credit Counseling Agency. What Can I Do? – Denise

“Dear Steve,

I need help with my credit card debt. I owe $20,000. I live in New York State. I only make $35,000 a year. I always pay them every month and on time. I pay about $500 a month with 11% interest.

Is their any good government programs that can help me with this debt. I don’t want to use a credit counseling agency. Could you please help me out or tell me somebody that can help me out. Could you please help me out.

Thank you,


Dear Denise,

So why don’t you want to use a credit counseling agency?

I would find it hard to believe you’d find a better rate with a debt consolidation loan from LendingClub.com. Your 11% rate is pretty good for unsecured credit.

There are no government programs to help you out of debt except for bankruptcy. I guess bankruptcy falls into a government program bucket since it is part of the law of the land.

The only other option would be a debt management plan through a credit counseling agency where, depending on who your creditors are your interest may be reduced slightly.

Please update me on your progress by

You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Leave a Comment