Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Banking Issue

I Had a Joint Checking Account With My Mother Who Passed Away. – Mark

“Dear Steve,

I had a joint checking account with my mother in 2006 and she passed away in December that year.

There were some transactions (retirement checks) posted to the account from my father who passed away in 1996. but were reversed because of her death.

This and the checking fees has caused the bank account to be overdrawn which I took care of but now the bank has contacted a collection agency claiming I owe $800 which is absurd.This includes the agencys fees and the bank fees.

Any suggestion what I should do?

Thank you.

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Steve to Answer? Click Here.


Dear Mark,

I think this might be able to be successfully resolved. From what you shared, it looks like you made payment and satisfied the past debt owed. In that case I’d take all the documentation of this to your local bank branch and sit down with someone and explain the situation.

I doubt that person will be able to do anything but they will be able to direct you to the right person that can and in a best case scenario they may even help to champion your cause within the bank.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

morehelp1 Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  Dennis Gets Slammed With Bank Charges Every Month

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top