Student loans are tough enough to deal with but it appears for-profit colleges are intentionally targeting military veterans eligible for the GI Bill. Students are winding up deep in debt at the more expensive for-profit college with no degree or a degree worth little. Some experts interviewed in the broadcast said that online degrees are viewed less favorably by hiring managers and that for-profit degree recipients are paid about 15% less than graduates from other schools.
The Frontline story below represents that for-profit schools are targeting military veterans because of all the money to be made on the benefits available under the GI Bill.
Sadly the Department of Veterans Affairs was not supplying sufficient information to military members to make educated and informed decisions about what type of education will be beneficial.
Now the VA tells students only 28% actually graduate from for-profit colleges. – Source
Veterans laid their lives on the line, may have been snookered by for-profit colleges and are left in debt with private student loans. And when it comes to good options for adjusting demands made by private student loan lenders, there just are none.
Student Loan Resources
You can use the following student loan resources to help reorganize, discharge or forgive your student loan payments.
The Overall Guide to Dealing With Student Loan Debt
Get Help For Your Student Loan Problem
Discharge Your Student Loans in Bankruptcy
- How to Really Discharge Your Student Loans in Bankruptcy. Many Can. But Never Try.
- A Look at Sallie Mae and Other Student Loans Discharged in Bankruptcy in 2012
- Federal Student Loans Discharged in Bankruptcy. A Look at the Surprising 2012 Data and Cases.
- These Private Student Loans Can Be Easily Discharged in Bankruptcy
- All Student Loan Bankruptcy Discharge Articles
Getting Sued Over a Student Loan
Private Student Loan Help
- Top 10 Reasons You Should Stop Paying Your Unaffordable Private Student Loan
- Private Student Loan Lenders Silently Slash Debt But You Don’t Know It
Student Loan Default
Student Loan Forgiveness and Discharge Information
- The Ultimate Guide to Dealing With Student Loans You Can’t Afford
- Obama Student Loan Forgivess Program
- Military Student Loan Forgiveness and Discharge Programs
- Student Loan Forgiveness or Discharge Can Create a Huge Tax Bill. Watch Out!
- Student Loan Public Service Loan Forgiveness – New Forms and Documentation Released
- Government Student Loan Disability Discharge
Watch Out for Student Loan Assistance Programs
- Student Loan Assistance Rescue Scams On the Rise – Buyer Beware
- Student Loan Assistance Report Out. Shows Danger of Such Programs.
Administrative Wage Garnishment
Student Loan Consolidation Information
- Student Loan Consolidation Payment and Interest Rate Calculator
- Student Loan Consolidation Opportunities and the Best Way to Lower Your Student Loan Payments
- Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Online Calculator
Specific Federal Student Loan Repayment Program Information
- Standard Repayment Plan
- Graduated Repayment Plan
- Extended Repayment Plan
- Income Based Repayment Plan
- Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan
- Income Contingent Repayment Plan
- Income Sensitive Repayment Plan
Maybe College Isn’t the Answer
Some of the for-profit colleges specifically named in the Frontline investigation included University of Phoenix, Devry University, Art Institute, Strayer University, Kaplan University, Westwood College, and Argosy University.
According to previous data, over 25% of all GI Bill benefits are distributed to eight for-profit schools: University of Phoenix, ITT, Art Institute, Argosy, DeVry, Sanford Brown, CTU, and Strayer.