Raised in a Foster Home and Suffering With Bad Credit. – Dwayne

“Dear Steve,

As a child i grew up in foster homes. my real parents put bills in my name as i was a child no where in there life. ive tryed hard to overcome the life style i was raised till i was 13 & put in foster care but its just so hard not having family & starting with bad credit.

is there any way to over come this . ive called the gov about identinty theft & the credit people years ago . i never heard back . ive even went to my state rep. my scores now 539 im 27 i was born in 85 i have a 1500 $ gas bill from 87 & the tell me someone had permishion to use my id they wont take it off i can even get gas in my name. wow right. im a student but thats hard not having credit to help pay rent are anything i need to live. im 27 i need to turn it around quick i waont to overcome the life ive left behind thanks that guy p.s sorry so sloppy


Dear Dwayne,

If you apply some concentrated effort and follow this process to rebuild your credit you can have good credit again.

However, it’s going to take some concentration on the task and sticking with it.

Have you actually looked at your credit report recently? That 1987 debt should not be listed on it anymore. If you’d like to check and monitor your credit score for free consider using Credit Karma to do that. Their credit score card tool can provide you with excellent advice about what specific steps you can take to improve your credit as well.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

See also  Chris Has Bad Credit. I Show Him How to Easily Get Good Credit.
Steve Rhode

1 thought on “Raised in a Foster Home and Suffering With Bad Credit. – Dwayne”

  1. You need to write to the credit reporting agencies and list each debt that is not yours.  Don’t copy the sample letters from online that don’t make any sense, just write clearly in regular English words, the same way you explained here.  I think it is a good idea to include a recent credit report and highlight everything wrong, write a big number (1,2,3) next to each high-lighted item and then list those items in the letter next to an explanation of why each is wrong.  (Not yours or wrong date).

    Send your dispute letters certified mail, return receipt requested.   Calling does nothing and the online disputes often seem to be as useful as talking to your dog — certified mail gives you proof of the dispute.  If the reporting agencies do not make the necessary changes, contact a lawyer with experience in Fair Credit Reporting Act claims.  You can often find one on http://www.naca.net.

    Best of luck to you!  

    — Amy Clark Kleinpeter


Leave a Comment