Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > My Online College Won’t Give Me My Transcripts. They Say I Owe Them Money. – Jennifer

My Online College Won’t Give Me My Transcripts. They Say I Owe Them Money. – Jennifer

“Dear Steve,

I was attending an on line university, had Pell grants and student loans, I dropped my last two classes, due to a unbelievable amount of stress I was under. Now, I am trying to enroll in a local university, I need my transcripts. The online college claims I owe them $3100, I do not understand how. My loans are through the government- not the college. How do I argue this and how do I get my transcripts?



Dear Jennifer,

I’m going to give you some homework to do. After you do it, come back and update me in the comments section.

Call the university and ask for a copy of your financial account so you can see what exactly they are claiming that you owe.

Next, see if your student loans show disbursement for this debt they say that you owe.

I have a sneaking suspicion that either they never applied for the loans or that they misapplied the funds. This is just going to take some sleuthing around to figure out.

Until this is resolved, you don’t get to get your transcripts.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
  • Winlancer21

    Another thing you can do without having to hire a lawyer is to contact your local State Student Financial Aid group. For Illinois, this is the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). If you were getting state aid along with federal aid (PELL) they may be able to ask for the forms for you. If not you can complain to the State board of higher education. Each state has one and they may be able to quickly resolve your problem or at least find out where you stand in regards to the costs.

    Kelvin Wing
    ISAC Commissioner
    State of Illinois

    • Steve Rhode

      Good tip. Did this work for you?

  • Blake

    They refused to give me a copy of my financial account. They just wanted to send an email that stated how much I owed in total rather than what I’m being charged for separately.

    • Steve Rhode

      Maybe you need to hire a consumer attorney to represent you to get some answers. Look at to find a local attorney.

  • Lucia

    I am trying
    to begin college again at my previous college. I did some online classes at
    Grand Canyon University for a year and decided to stop and get a job. Now I am
    trying to reapply @ my previous college only to find out I can’t because Grand
    Canyon says I owe $3000.00 for classes I didn’t take. Now they won’t send my
    transcripts from Grand Canyon University to the college I am trying to apply
    too. Please advise me on what I should do and how to handle this. Thanks

  • JD

    Hi All,

    If you are using financial aid to go to school and you drop out midterm you will be held financially responsible for that term. (This does not apply to most student loans however)

  • JD

    Hi All,

    If you are using financial aid to go to school and you drop out midterm you will be held financially responsible for that term. (This does not apply to most student loans however)

  • adam smith

    I owe one college money because I dropped out mid-semester. I just don’t ask for those transcripts when I apply to other schools. I still got approved for more financial aid at another school after that. As far as I know there’s no law that says you have to transfer all your credits.

    • Mrs. Walker

      I am now in the same situation only my new school is demanding the transcripts in order to get financial aid awarded. I am now really stuck!

  • http://Website Patricia

    I am in the same boat. I attened an online college they pulled student loans and pell grants. I never recieved a refund for anything they are now stating that I owe them money and I have contacted fasfa and student loan companies and they are telling me what the school recieved and it is not adding up to what the school is telling me. What should I do to recieve my transcript. I am currently attend a school in my home state and can’t futher my education because of this problem. Help me please.

    • Steve Rhode


      Find a local lawyer to represent you in your dispute with the school.


  • Drina

    I’m in the same boat as Jennifer. I am desperately trying to finish my Master’s degree. I started at one university. Then due to financial reasons I stopped to work full time. I then enrolled in an online program. I obtained student loans. I believe they made a double disbursement to me. I even called them when it was direct deposited in my account to make sure it wasn’t a mistake. Someone in the financial aid office told me it was correct. Then I finished the semester and received a bill for $6,000 and they won’t give me my transcripts to attend a local, less expensive university. Steve, I will follow your steps. Thanks for your advice. I’ll relay the information when I obtain it.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.