Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

Can They Garnish My Husbands Wages for My Student Loans? – Liz


“Dear Steve,

Went back to school and do to high risk pregnancy did not finish so I have student loans and I owe the school as well. My husband makes minimum wage and I only work about 20hr a wk at minimum as well.

I received a call from a collections office and was told that if I did not make payment arrangements they would not only garnish my wages but my husbands as well. We both live in the state of TX and honestly we are just making ends meet. Can they garnish our wages? Can they really garnish my husbands eventhough the loan was not for him?


Dear Liz,

I think the important factor is not who the loans were for but who signed and/or guaranteed the loans. Maybe he was a co-borrower? If so, then we would be liable for the loans.

Student loans are a tough thing to owe. I just interviewed a woman yesterday that is homeless but still has to pay on her student loans.

If they are government backed loans look into the IBR (Income Based Repayment) plan for some potential relief.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

P.S. Be sure to read ‘The Secret of Surviving Through Difficult Economic Times. What I Learned On My Journey‘.

See also  The Ultimate Guide to Dealing With Student Loans You Can't Afford

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.


  • My husband was not a co-borrower on the loans, they were just in my name. He was not mentioned on the applications at all school or loans, can they still garnish his wages?

    • Liz,

      If you live in a community property state then your husbands wages may be able to be garnished. If you don’t live in Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington or Wisconsin, then I would suggest that you contact a local attorney for state specific advice and representation.


      • SO if you live in the states mentioned up above they can’t garnish your wages for not paying on your student loans?

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top