I Got Sued Over an Old Debt and Alegedly Served a Summons in a State I’ve Never Lived In


Dear Steve,

I have a garnishment from a law firm debt collecting place who summonsed me to court and I failed to show up so they rendered judgement against me. I had no summons served to me. I had no clue about any of this at all until I received a letter in my work email saying I was going to be garnished 25% of my check starting with my next payday, which was less than a week away. Thing is, this summons was served to a PO Box number in Maryland. I have NEVER lived in Maryland nor step foot in Maryland. I have always lived in Nebraska all my life. now what?



Dear Jennifer,

I’m not a lawyer so you’d have to get legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state. However you’ve got quite set of facts there.

It’s not unusual for someone to be sued and served at an address that does not belong to them. However, you’ll have to go to court and attempt to get the garnishment terminated and case overturned for improper service.

You didn’t mention if the debt is one you owe anyway. If so you’ll have to weigh if paying for legal help to overturn this only to face it again is worth the expense.

If you don’t owe the debt then fight it. If you do owe the debt then call some consumer attorneys and find out how much representation would be.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)
See also  I Was in a Debt Settlement Program and Was Sued by a Creditor and Never Knew It. - Elizabeth

Leave a Comment