Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Tax Related

My Ex-Husband and I Both Got 1099-C Forms for Private Student Loan Debt

Written by Steve Rhode


Dear Steve,

I just received a 1099-c for a private student loan from chase bank. My ex-husband also received a 1099-c for the same amount since he co-signed the loan. The student loan was for me and he didn’t use any of the loan for himself.

Does he have to file this 1099-c with the IRS if I file it on my tax return for the complete amount and claim insolvency? Would the IRS penalize him for not filing the 1099-c if I’m filing? Should I send a statement with my filing to state that he had no benefit from my personal student loan?



Dear Lisa,

See this previous post.

As always, when it comes to tax issues, consulting with a licensed tax professional or tax adviser is always a smart thing to do.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  My Ex Says I Need to Claim 1099-C But I Don't Think So

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top