Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

My Contract Mobile Fone is Overdrafting My Current Account. – James

“Dear Steve,

i live in the UK 6 months ago while i was working i took out a contract fone for £35 a month. recently i am out of work and cant pay this every month and it goes to a overdraft so on top i am getting £25 overdraft fees. i am looking for work i dont know how long it would be before i can pay the debt back and the debt would also have grown to a couple hundred probably. please any advice?


Dear James,

First, I would contact your bank and ask them to stop the standing order or debt authorisation from the phone company. I am assuming this is not a pay as you go phone but you have a contract on this for a period of time. How long is the contract for?

Have to tried to ask the mobile company if you can lower your plan or suspend your account while you are out of work?

Let’s stop the overdraft fees and then come back and update me in the comments with what the phone company said and the length of the contract.

morehelp1 Choice1 Choice2 Choice3 Big Hug!
Get Out of Debt Guy - Twitter , G+ , Facebook
If you have a credit or debt question you'd like to ask just use the online form .

READ  No, You Will Not be Arrested at the UK Airport For Your Debt

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

1 Comment

  • hi just me commenting back firstly the contract length on the whole is 18 months so im jus over a third of the way through. im not to sure about stoppong the standing order and not allowing the phone company to take my next bill because i dont know what they will do legally? also thank you 4 the extremely quick reply

Share a Comment / Leave a Reply

Scroll to Top
%d bloggers like this: