Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts

My Husband in Prison Wants Me to Get a Credit Card in His Name. – Anya

“Dear Steve,

My husband is in prison and he was telling me that I can get a credit card in his name.

Is this possible? Would I have to get power of attorney? If so, how do I obtain that?


Dear Anya,

That is a horribly bad idea. If you apply in his name without a specific power of attorney, you’d be committing identity theft. What would you list for his income?

Please update me on your progress by posting updates here in the comments section of your question. I’m very interested in how this works out for you.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  My Father Went to Prison With Debt. - Brenton

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top