Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > How Can I Keep My Ex-Wife In Our Old House and Build My Credit Score? – David

How Can I Keep My Ex-Wife In Our Old House and Build My Credit Score? – David

“Dear Steve,

I am currently going trough a divorce, and am having difficuty in maintaining the current house payment. My ex resides in the house and has commited to paying a certain amount of the house payment as rent. She is currently unable to meet her obligations; and I am falling behind on the house payment. I have attempted a loan modification; but am unable to obtain all the information required.

What avenues do I have to both keep the house and re-build my credit scores?


Dear David,

Obviously you need to be able to meet the current mortgage obligation, which your ex-wife can’t fund with rent. It also sounds like you can’t afford it as well.

No lender is required to modify any mortgage. This will be especially difficult since you would be a non-resident landlord and I’m not aware of any programs that cover investors.

At this point you can sell the house or eventually lose it through default.

I’m curious, what is your ex-wives solution for dealing with her missed rent? It seems this issue begins there.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.