Is there a way to get student loan forgiveness if I became disabled during my last year in school? – Jade

I have an autoimmune disorder called Lupus, and during my senior year in college, I had a massive flare-up that hospitalized me for 7 months, to the point where I needed chemotherapy!

I was released, but suffered from Transverse Myelitis, which is a neurological disorder, caused by inflammation of the spinal cord.

I now struggle to walk, suffer from incontinence, and have shoulder problems from relying heavily on using a walker. It has been 3 years since my hospitalization, and it is always a daily struggle for me.

However, the people working at Sallie Mae had no sympathy for me, and was even asking me to make payments while I was in the hospital; even insisting that I ask family members, such as aunts and uncles if they could pay in my behalf!

Is there any place/organization that offers student loan relief or help paying it off for a person in a situation such as myself? I don’t see my recovery progressing significantly anytime soon, but my debt interest continues to accumulate. I have been paying off what I can with the small amount of SSI that I get monthly – any financial help out there would be greatly appreciated!


This is information that was submitted by a third party and not generated by GetOutOfDebt.org or Steve Rhode.

Comments are closed.