Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts Debt Settlement

My Ex-Husband Tried All Sorts of Tricks to Make the Discover Card Bill Go Away. Now They Have a Judgment Against Me. – Sandra

“Dear Steve,

In 2005 Discover card got a judgement against me in MN. My now ex-husband maxed out the card and tried to use techniques from a debt elimination company and failed. I have done nothing about it, I am stubbornly resolved it is not my debt, bit I was the card holder. Now they have filed a foreign judgement on me in ND, I just want to somehow pay this without having enough money to live.

How can I settle with Discover Card?


Dear Sandra,

Sorry to hear about this. If you have cash on hand to give them a lump-sum settlement now, you might be able to settle it. But since they already have invested in getting a judgment against you they are kind of in the drivers seat now.

But before you pick up the phone and talk to Discover, you should probably meet with a local attorney that is licensed in your state and get a better understanding of what they can do to you in order to collect on the foreign judgment. You should also get an opinion on how long the judgment is good for before you rush to make any decision.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.


You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.

READ  I Am Attempting to Negotiate a Debt Settlement With Discover Card. - Evelyn

About the author

Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top