Latest Posts
Home > Ask The Get Out of Debt Experts > 1099 > My Credit Union Sent me a 1099-C for Two Different Amounts. – Sabra

My Credit Union Sent me a 1099-C for Two Different Amounts. – Sabra

“Dear Steve,

Credit Union charged off the amount of $2369 for a gap insurance loan that had a balance of $1639 but reported to IRS a charge off of $2574. IRS is going after me for not claiming it as income.

How can they have 2 different charge offs and get away with it?



Dear Sabra,

It’s a mystery.

The first point to consider is if you were insolvent at the time the debt was charged off. If so you could file an IRS Form 982 to avoid the tax due on that debt. See this post.

If you were not insolvent and still have to pay tax on the forgiven debt I would notify the IRS of the discrepancy. They have a process for dealing with such issues.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Get Out of Debt Free Hotline
debt settlement helpstudent loan help

About Steve Rhode

Steve Rhode
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.

Get My FREE Get Out of Debt Guy Newsletter

It is the smart thing to do.

I promise to keep your email safe and secure.


I want to keep you posted each weekday with just one email about the latest get out of debt news, scam alerts and information to beat back debt.

You can unsubscribe at any time with just one click.

After you subscribe, check your email to confirm your subscription. If the confirmation email does not appear in your inbox in a few minutes, check your spam folder for it. Sometimes it likes to annoyingly hide there.

  • It will keep you posted on the latest scams.
  • You will be alerted to the latest articles.
  • You will wind up smarter than everyone else dealing with debt.