I’m Going to File Bankruptcy. Do I Just List My Student Loans? – Jayna

“Dear Steve,

I am claiming bankruptcy and have been unable to secure steady employment since graduation.

How would I file my papers to request the discharge of my student loans. Some are private through Well Fargo with a co-signer and some are student loans starting in 2002. The total amount is around $60,000


Dear Jayna,

Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

You should really work with a bankruptcy attorney who is experienced with dealing with student loans. It is not something I would advise you should tackle alone. Particularly since it may require an additional adversary proceeding with the bankruptcy.

But for a general overview of issues surrounding the discharge of student loans, click here.

Even if you are able to discharge your one student loan with the cosigner, the co-signer will ten become responsible for the loan.

While it is possible to discharge many student loans in bankruptcy, it is a legal process that should not be undertaken with appropriate skills and local experience with the bankruptcy court.

You can click here to find a local bankruptcy attorney and talk to them for free about your specific situation. Get the facts and then you can make an informed and educated decision if bankruptcy is right for you.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)
See also  I Am an Unemployed School Principal, Drowning in Debt and Getting Divorced. - Jennifer