Why Can My College Keep My Transcript Hostage? – Kimberly

“Dear Steve,

I seen a question that a guy asked you about owing a college and them holding his transcripts. I am in the same boat. I owe a private college in nyc a little less than 7,000 and I got my Associates Degree, I want to go get my Bachelors but its holding me back because I can not get my transcripts , What can I do? I seen you say talk to the organization that accredited them, How can I do that? I have tried to talk to the school but they will not give me official transcripts until the debt is paid off and that’s just not going to happen any time soon.

What are my options , being that I have a Associates Degree with them?, I think I have about 67 credits.


Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.

Dear Kimberly,

Well it sounds like you know what to do but not sure who to contact. I’m afraid even asking the State of New York for help might be a slim chance of getting the transcript. However it’s worth a shot.

Even State schools in New York clearly say on their transcript request form, “No transcript will be furnished to a student or alumnus who has outstanding financial obligations.” – Source

Think of the transcript as collateral. They know you will have to settle or resolve your bill to get the transcript. It’s their leverage over you so they get paid what they are owed. Otherwise people would get the transcript and skip on the bills.

The New York State Education Department can be reached at (518) 474-3852.

Please post your responses and follow-up messages to me on this in the comments section below.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach

Follow Me
Steve Rhode is the Get Out of Debt Guy and has been helping good people with bad debt problems since 1994. You can learn more about Steve, here.
Steve Rhode
Follow Me
Latest posts by Steve Rhode (see all)
See also  DeVry University Says I Owe Money on an Educard and Won't Give Me My Transcript So I Can Go back to School. - Tonya