In yet another Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) lawsuit, which seem to be coming fast and furious, Renaissance Debt Solutions is the unlucky named party.
On July 29, 2015, Paul Sapan filed suit against Renaissance Debt Solutions over nine telephone calls “wherein they tried to pitch debt modification services.”
In this case the consumer received two calls in January, four calls in June, and three calls in July. Of those calls the consumer only answered one, yet the penalties faced by the calling company are real.
Do You Have a Question You'd Like Help With? Contact Debt Coach Damon Day. Click here to reach Damon.
Again, I can’t stress enough how much exposure and risk outbound dialers will face at the moment with the recent changes and clarifications by the Federal Communication Commission over unwanted calls.
Anyone in the debt relief industry who wants to learn more should read Debt Relief Companies Urged to Shut Down Autodialers.
The Plaintiff in this case is asking for:
- For an award of $500.00 for each violation of 47 C.F.R. §64.1200 (c) (2);
- For an award of $1,500.00 for each such violation found to have been willful;
- For compensatory damages according to proof;
- For punitive damages;
- For preliminary and permanent injunctions, enjoining Defendants, and each of them, from engaging in unfair or unlawful business practices pursuant to section 17203 of the Business and Professions Code;
- For attorney’s fees pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure § 1021.5.
- For costs of suit herein incurred; and
- For such further relief as the Court deems proper.
We all know anyone can file any complaint against another person for any reason. And it is unclear if this case will go to trial but what does seem certain is the TCPA angle is one easy way to go after any company who makes outbound calls trying to drum up business.
If you want to read the lawsuit, click here.
If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask just use the online form. I’m happy to help you totally for free.
- Strategic Financial Solutions and Ryan Sasson Stumble and Get Pounded - February 13, 2024
- These Emotions Stop You From Getting Out of Debt - January 11, 2024
- 16 Common Myths About Getting Out of Debt That Everyone Gets Wrong - January 8, 2024