I RECEIVED A CALL ABOUT A LOAN FORGIVENESS PROGRAM. ([email protected]) I THOUGHT IT WAS A LEGIT PROGRAM THROUGH THE DEPT OF EDUCATION. SO I GOT SUCKERED INTO GIVING THEM MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION. THEN HE EMAILED ME A FORM TO INITIAL, BUT WHEN I CLICKED ON THE SPOTS, SOMEONE ELSES INITIALS POPPED UP. THEN I WAS TOLD I WOULD GET A CALL FROM A LOAN OFFICER IN A DAY OR SO. I DIDN’T HEAR ANYTHING, SO I EMAILED THEM. THEY FINALLY CALLED AND I CANCELLED, AND THEY SAID THEY DELETED MY INFORMATION.
HOW DO I KNOW IF THE COMPANY WAS LEGIT? AM I AT RISK ?
First off, let’s be clear, what you received was a sales call. Incoming calls for service from any company are by their nature an effort to sell you their product or service.
When people ask me if a company is legit or a scam I’m always caught in a quandary. I have no idea what someone else defines as legit or a scam.
I do always think that the best way to decide if you want to work with any particular company is to do your own research.
I would recommend that anyone considering using such a company should read the following free guides.
- The Ultimate Consumer Guide to Checking Out a Debt Relief Company Before You Sign On the Line
- 10 Must Do Steps to Find the Best Credit Counseling or Debt Settlement Company for You
- How to Check Out a Business or Company to Avoid Getting Scammed or Ripped Off
I did take a five minute look at the company using some of the steps I layout in the guides above and here are my observations.
- I can’t find the company address on the brief site. There is no way to know what state they are located in or check if they are registered to do business.
- According to DomainTools.com the domain was registered on May 6, 2016. The ownership of the domain is hidden.
- The site says the company is a “private organization” but what does that even mean?
- This site and it’s lack of information gives me the feeling it is a lead generation marketing site, or telemarketing effort and not related to a specific company.
One item online connected the telephone number to another company as well, A1DocPrep.com. – Source
The website for A1 DocPrep is just as vacant of specifics. That domain name was created on April 20, 2016. The telephone number on the A1 DocPrep site, 213-347-9270, is linked to a BBB listing for A1 DocPrep which has a D+ rating.
Bottomline is I have no confidence based on my research who this company actually is.