I RECEIVED A CALL ABOUT A LOAN FORGIVENESS PROGRAM. (STUDENTLOANSUPPORT@ED.GOV) I THOUGHT IT WAS A LEGIT PROGRAM THROUGH THE DEPT OF EDUCATION. SO I GOT SUCKERED INTO GIVING THEM MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION. THEN HE EMAILED ME A FORM TO INITIAL, BUT WHEN I CLICKED ON THE SPOTS, SOMEONE ELSES INITIALS POPPED UP. THEN I WAS TOLD I WOULD GET A CALL FROM A LOAN OFFICER IN A DAY OR SO. I DIDN’T HEAR ANYTHING, SO I EMAILED THEM. THEY FINALLY CALLED AND I CANCELLED, AND THEY SAID THEY DELETED MY INFORMATION.
HOW DO I KNOW IF THE COMPANY WAS LEGIT? AM I AT RISK ?
First off, let’s be clear, what you received was a sales call. Incoming calls for service from any company are by their nature an effort to sell you their product or service.
When people ask me if a company is legit or a scam I’m always caught in a quandary. I have no idea what someone else defines as legit or a scam.
I do always think that the best way to decide if you want to work with any particular company is to do your own research.
I would recommend that anyone considering using such a company should read the following free guides.
- The Ultimate Consumer Guide to Checking Out a Debt Relief Company Before You Sign On the Line
- 10 Must Do Steps to Find the Best Credit Counseling or Debt Settlement Company for You
- How to Check Out a Business or Company to Avoid Getting Scammed or Ripped Off
I did take a five minute look at the company using some of the steps I layout in the guides above and here are my observations.
- I can’t find the company address on the brief site. There is no way to know what state they are located in or check if they are registered to do business.
- According to DomainTools.com the domain was registered on May 6, 2016. The ownership of the domain is hidden.
- The site says the company is a “private organization” but what does that even mean?
- This site and it’s lack of information gives me the feeling it is a lead generation marketing site, or telemarketing effort and not related to a specific company.
One item online connected the telephone number to another company as well, A1DocPrep.com. – Source
The website for A1 DocPrep is just as vacant of specifics. That domain name was created on April 20, 2016. The telephone number on the A1 DocPrep site, 213-347-9270, is linked to a BBB listing for A1 DocPrep which has a D+ rating.
Bottomline is I have no confidence based on my research who this company actually is.
You are not alone. I'm here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don't give up.
Do you have a question you'd like to ask me for free? Go ahead and click here.
- People Less Worried About Inflation - August 8, 2022
- Credit Card or Debit Card: The Great Debate. It’s Not Even Close. - August 4, 2022
- Majority of People You Know Are Living Paycheck-to-Paycheck - August 3, 2022